Friday, January 16, 2009

Grounded

It hurts when I talk, it hurts when I laugh aaand sometimes it hurts to breath!

It is cold outside - the temperature is measured in Fahrenheit; can't remember how to convert the readings into Celsius. Freezing point is 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C -Boiling point is 212 degrees F or 100 degrees C: the conversion lesson stops here, you do the math!

The sun is shining, the skies are blue and with the wind chill factored in, it is 32 degrees below outside. The actual temperature is 7 degrees F - it is breezy, hence the wind chill factor is counted. Of course, lots of ice and snow in the ground, all around. Have to dress accordingly in layers to be comfortable in this weather.

On Thursdays, I take students and do service work at the Canticle Cafe in Detroit, serving the homeless and the hungry. Yesterday started just like any other Thursday. I went in to my office about 9:00 AM.

With the volume of donations accumulated since after Thanksgiving, have loaded the 12passenger van with donated food and clothing the day before. Of all the university vehicles, this van is my least favorite to drive. Have driven this van 16 hours + (not fun) - one way to South Carolina and back.

Nick Modelski was recruited to help. He offered to drive and I was relieved. He is the Americorps VISTA with the Office of First Year Experience.

On the way in to the city, I commented on how deceiving the day looked - blue skies, sunshine, seemingly clear expressways and roads, only 8 degrees F outside, etc.etc.etc!

After some appropriate introductions, Nick started serving coffee and morning pastries to guests. He later switched and worked at the clothing depot with students from University of Detroit Mercy.

Camilla Lumsford, had opened part of the back sections so the homeless would have some shelter from the cold to drink their coffee or tea and have a little to eat. All the food is donated and served for free!

In the donations we brought in, were restaurant size cans of tuna fish as well mayonnaise - perfect in making tuna sandwiches for lunch distribution.

We also brought in frozen fish. Another volunteer and I separated the fish in individual plastic bags to distribute in the grocery bags.

Eligible individuals and/or families come in, to receive 1 bag of groceries per week. In warm weather, they form a line outside (block length+); in cold weather, they crowd inside the lobby.

On the way back to the Madonna University campus, as Nick got ready to switch from Interstate 75 to Interstate 96, we hit a patch of black ice. The van slid and spun three lanes across, crossing the express way from the slow lane (the far right lane) to hit the concrete barrier on the fast lane (far left lane).We bounced off the concrete median wall three times facing oncoming traffic.

Vanity of vanities - all I could think of, is how to protect my face and head! Deep snow on the road side finally stopped the van. The passenger door would not open so had to get out another way. I knew right away, I was hurt but did not want to panic anyone, so proceeded to call Detroit police and Michigan State Police to report the accident.

An angel stopped to help us and took us back to the Madonna University campus in Livonia. Will write about Bruce and angels in another blog.

As soon as I got back to my office, I asked my best friend Chris Brant to take me to the hospital (St. Mary's Hospital in Livonia). With X-rays and such, fractured ribs were discovered - so now I am grounded on drugs and ordered to stay quiet!

Soo much like a "Lola Bette decree" in my childhood - I am listening and being good, because it hurts soo very much. Pray for me.

1 comment:

feebee said...

this is really making me sad :( please feel better soon.

lots of love,
phoebe