Monday, March 21, 2011

Musings on an Early Morning Beachwalk

View blog reactions

So, I resolved to walk this morning - woke up early with great plans to watch the sunrise at the beach but did not make it - could not decide whether to go to early mass before going to the sea shoreHad my cup of coffee, a piece of Blueberry Crumble, a piece of fish and off I went.

I think the beach in Catmon is one of the hidden and most neglected treasures of the community. I grew up with freedom to walk on the beach front from Flores Zone to Bawo during my elementary school days. Alas, those days are over, as more and more people owning beach front property have privatized most of the shoreline - the result has spoiled the attraction of the beach. Only a small portion is left for public enjoyment and use!

I say that this portion is the most neglected treasures of Catmon - if only everyone would take pride and responsibility in cleaning and grooming the public areas. As a little girl, I used to be able to walk for what it felt like miles unencumbered by debris - disposable diapers, all kinds of plastic, all kinds of ragged clothing strips, sanitary pads and other refuse can be found all over the place - some of which is ever so close to the so-called municipal park.

I was very surprised to see a lot of coconut debris - in my day, this was gathered and dried and used to build fires to cook with. Although the beach front by "kanipahan" is now crowded with houses belonging to indigenous subsistence fishermen (I imagine) - no one seem to be paying attention to cleaning the beach itself.

It will take a proud highly motivated and highly mobilize population to clear clean this treasure, which could easily become a tourism focal point. It is a cause of embarrassment and shame for the whole community that such potential to draw revenue to the town is wasted. I tend to think of lost opportunity and lost revenue. The town need proactive leadership to have a sustainable development of its treasures.

No comments: